During the winter months, you may run into adverse winter driving conditions. Make sure to exercise additional care; for example, drive slowly and be aware of other drivers. If possible, avoid driving at all if the road is slippery or the weather is bad. But what happens if you do get in an accident? Here are some key things you need to do:
- Remain at the scene of the accident.
- Take steps to prevent further accidents – park safely, turn on emergency flashers.
- Call the police or ask someone to call for you.
- Obtain the other driver’s name, insurance company name and phone number, the vehicle’s license plate number, and the operator’s license number (obtain this information from all parties involved).
- Give the other driver your name, insurance company name and phone number, the vehicle’s license plate number, and your license number.
- Discuss the specifics of the accident only with the police.
- If you have a camera, take photos of the accident scene and vehicles if it is safe to do so.